Saturday 4 February 2012

Margaret Robinson to Tom Critchley 4.2.1942

Thank you for your lovely long letter which arrived yesterday afternoon. One of the GP's brought it up specially to me about 4.00pm. You write so beautifully and everything you say is expressed in such a soothing way, it comes as soft music to a tired mind.
Mr. Sainsbury told me about his walks around Swansea when I took his tea in yesterday. Apparently he remembers a very good walk from Bishopston. Round about there is a valley, which he believes is and old river because there are so many things pointing to this fact. He also mentioned a waterfall, the water rushing amid rocks and apparently no trace of a spring. His theory is that there is a subterranean river somewhere. So if you get time, I should explore these parts, if you have any idea whereabout they are, and then you can tell me if these things have changed since his days.
I thanked Mr Sainsbury very much for the time off and he said " That's alright, its an understood thing." It gives hopes for the next leave. Well I must certainly keep on the right side of him.
I'm glad you heard from Doug and Jonah. How lovely for Doug not to be going abroad, as I don't suppose he is very keen to go, now he has Ella. But poor Doug in a mixed unit. I expect he will have to teach girls to drive, and you have had some experience of that, haven't you?
Did you hear the Brain's Trust last night? I thought they were very good. The questions were not bad – quite everyday common sense ones. I liked the one where a soldier wanted to know how he could make his wife like opera – good old Joad, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Tonight we had excerpts from Emlyn Williams play, Morning Star, the one we wanted to see. Its all about the air raids of 1940 – but it certainly sounds good if you like a serious play. It would be lovely to see something when you are on weekend leave wouldn't it? But I suppose we must save our money.
I was talking to Mrs Waker this afternoon, and she wanted to know what I though of Swansea. She is the one who's daughter is evacuated down your way. She told me that she will be going down there for a weekend in March, 1st or 2nd week, so if we can both manage the Friday afternoon off, we can travel down together then. I suppose it would mean me traveling back overnight (the Sunday night, I mean) as it would seem a waste of time having Monday off just to travel don't you think? But I'm willing to travel by night if it means seeing you. Perhaps I could travel back by a 4 o'clock train if there is one in the morning, then we could spend a night couldn't we? I have to bear in mind that I only have one day and traveling on the Saturday at 11.55 means a very short weekend, so I think it would be best to get the Friday afternoon off, don't you?
As you say you feel like writing to me oftener than every other day, I should enclose two letters in one, if you understand me. Only the postage is very dear and its lovely to receive one fat packet instead of two small ones and I suppose we must save money even in the smallest way.
Joyce is going back to the office on Monday next, so it will seem very strange after all this time. Jock phoned her tonight & Joyce phoned him last night so it (this affair I mean) seems to be progressing somewhat.
I m going to the dance on Friday. I wish you could come with me, but I don't suppose we should have gone if you had been at home as you don't appreciate such things. I can't say I am very keen, but I expect I shall enjoy it.
Won't we have a lovely time when we are married? I can see ourselves going to bed very early & then not sleeping at all.
Please remember me to Ron and George, perhaps I shall meet them again next time I am down. I would certainly love to see your billet & meet Mrs Dowling and Esme.
I shall think of you on your way to the college & rushing up that hill daily.

All my love,

Margaret

PS I forgot to ask you in my first letter if you ever talked in your sleep. I certainly hope you did not on Monday or Sunday night and give our secrets away.

No comments:

Post a Comment