Friday, 3 February 2012

Margaret Robinson to Tom Critchley 3rd February 1942

To begin with, there's snow, snow, snow and still more snow. I was very surprised to see it yesterday. I think it began somewhere about Swindon. I wondered at first it it were lumps of lime, but the fields were covered completely as we travelled nearer London. I was tempted to catch the next train back to you. Oh dear, it was a terrific strain to have to leave. I hated coming back. And how silly it seemed when I was just on the door-step, so to speak. We reached London at 2.00pm. About half an hour late. I think the train was non-stop to Paddington from Newport. Immediately I arrived at Paddington, I rang mother up and told her not to meet me, as the snow is worse in our road. I think she was pleased I rang up. However, I went to be fitted for my costume. I shall be very pleased with it. It will be ready on 27th February.
Yesterday I was very rash, I took mother's advice and bought some white lace. It was 10/11 per yard and I had to have 6 yards, so you can guess what I have let myself in for. Still, I think if I left it till later I probably would not be able to get it. I will now have to buy some satin or whatever I shall wear beneath it. So don't you call this wedding off now, or fly back to mother at the last minute. I should imagine this dress will cost £5 altogether. Still, it only happens once in a lifetime, at least it should. Please don't broadcast this cost. If I see you in March, as I hope I will, I will have to ask you to provide the necessary, as I shall be completely broke at the end of February.
I went to the record shop yesterday, and they had only two of the records in, so I will have to fetch the next later. I could not find the place, & wandered round Leicester Square station in circles, the only thing I know was that it was in Cranbourne Street. I did miss you as you know these places so well. And walking about London with a heavy case is not by any means an easy task, however, I arrived home before the rush hour at 5.00pm. It was very sad going home, but Shandy, of course was very pleased to see me. So I had to take him out in the snow. He loved it and this time it's deeper than ever before (about 6 inches I should say) It was snowing as I came to the office this morning. You count your lucky stars you have not got to travel in this, How I long to be with you and to see you every evening. Still I suppose that time will come and we must just wait, wait & wait. But life is as sad at times, and I can't helping sighing.
After lunch
I have just been out to the Civic. A very nice lunch. It is now raining, a very fine rain, so I expect the snow will gradually melt away.
You won't forget, will you, about getting mother some of those curtain hooks when you go near Woolworths. I think they are 5 pence ha'penny per card.
Well I can think of you all day and know what sort of place you are in. I can follow you down town and on that tram to Mumbles and the lovely cliff walks. I can hear the sea dashing against the rocks, and Egbert (a sea gull) flying around in all his glory. Do tell me everything you are doing at week ends and in the evenings, and please tell me if you are going a mumbling next weekend and the I can be with you in spirit, can't I?
Mr Sainsbury has just been talking to me as he knows Swansea & Mumbles & the Langland Bay walks very well. He apparently went there on an audit years ago. He said the next time I go there's a lovely walk inland. Anyway, he seems to think I am coming again doesn't he?
I think Ethel & I shall be fire watching this Saturday night as someone is on sick leave this week and we are reserve. But I don't mind as it all means more money, and I have not much to do at home. We shall be on a Thursday week too, so it looks as if this is going to be good month for fire watching.
I must close as I suppose I must do some work of some kind.
I have done (mended) your gloves so you can have them as soon as I have washed them,
all my love,

No comments:

Post a Comment