Friday 27 January 2012

Margaret Robinson to Tom Critchley undated but likely to be circa 20.1.42 1942

Thank you for your letter which I received yesterday. Its grand to know you are still at Swansea, and I hope by now you have quite settled down to the life at Swansea, and have completely recovered from the shock. It doesn't seem long since we said you were definitely alright until July, that you would remain in England at least until then. We learnt something we didn't know from this do and that is that you are top of the class and one of Dr Starky's best pupils. Its funny isn't it, but you always seem to have something happen to you, which brings you into close contact with the "big chief" so to speak. I'm jolly glad that beastly sergeant cannot do much against you. You will have to be careful won't you?
I hope the rugger goes off alright on Saturday. In fact I really hope it pours and pours with rain, torrential rain. You will ring me up on Sunday if you can hobble to the telephone box won't you, just to let me know you are still alive?
We had a first aid practice last night & will do so for the following Wednesday. It is a great pity we can't get a St John's man along to help us because we only muddle along and we might pass on the wrong way of doing things to others. Anyway we found we were not so rusty after all.
Your mother and father had a short letter from Ron yesterday. Apparently he has been on holiday in Cairo with Cyril and Dennis. He never mentions a word about Nancy in his letters does he? And he has not written to her for months now. I would not put up with this if I was in her place, would you? He can't be so busy that he can't write to Nancy. I don't think she quite realises this, as I know she is just waiting for his return. I think she's utterly wasting her time, when perhaps she might be enjoying herself and going out with someone else. We Robinsons are perhaps of a different nature from Ron because we only go out with one at a time. If we don't want to continue with them, we just say so or in other words drop it. I know its different with us because we have a definite understanding & we would not enjoy ourselves if we went out with others. If you went abroad I know you wouldn't expect me to stay at home darning socks all the time, but we certainly would be corresponding continually, wouldn't we?
Anyhow I think I shall have to warn Nancy of this somehow because she will only be upset if & when he does arrive home. Would it help if you and I sent a cable sometime to him? Let me know what you think won't you? It's not every girl who would be so patient as Nancy. I don't think I could be under those circumstances.
I really think we ought to buy some more bottom drawer articles such as crockery. People are simply swarming to buy up all the good crockery, so unless you would like to have a great thick mug I do not know what else we shall be able to use. Of course there is always the picnic set, and we have at least got cutlery, knives & forks, if no plates. Things is very bad. I really do not know what I shall do about clothes. I certainly will not be able to get all those pretty undies will I?

All my love, Margaret

No comments:

Post a Comment