Thursday, 26 January 2012

Margaret Robinson to Tom Critchley 26.1.1942

I'm running out of notepaper at the office so have to resort to the usual method of scrounging. I'm getting fed up with nothing much to do here so I thought I would start writing to you.
This afternoon I ordered some records from the Ryp van Winkle place. I don't suppose you will think much of my choice, but here they are:
I know that my Redeemer Liveth... master Lough singing
Kentucky Minstrels Carry Me back to Green Pastures, Homing, Bless this House and Passing By, Holy City.
All this amounts to 14/- and perhaps I shall buy some needles if you think it necessary.
Tom, if you happen to see a nice strong comb, do you think you could buy it for me, as I am continually breaking mine and these things are very hard to get. I have combs at home which are simply awful to look at, in fact they are almost toothless hags!
The weather here today is very cold and it has actually been starting to snow again, but the wind is so terrific, it simply cannot lay. The office is very cold today and I have been sitting with a blanket round me all day. I believe in comfort don't I?
It was lovely hearing you again last night. It's worth while waiting for the operator isn't it? We had six minutes altogether, ad Dad said when I had finished "why there's a different look on your face!! A contented & very happy look". Just for those six minutes we were carried away into our own little world. I always feel, though, there may be someone listening and we can't always say what we would like to.
Thursday morning 9.30 am
I feel ever so happy this morning apart from a very nice fire watch, because our dreams have come true my leave is granted and I am leaving on Friday at 12.45 to catch the 1.55 train. Isn't it lovely? I believe I told you Mr Graddon was on leave yesterday, well he came in at about 8.45 and said that he and Mr Sainsbury were off to Norwich until Thursday, so would not be back until Friday morning. He really came in to collect his work and also to ring Mr Sainsbury. So I said in a plaintiff voice "what about my leave?" so he said he would leave a note for Mr Bolt. That I said was no good, because Mr Bolt would have to ask Mr Sainsbury. So I implored him to ask Mr Sainsbury there and then. I knew Mr Sainsbury would approve of me leaving early on Friday. Expect me about 7.00pm at Swansea High Street.
Mr Graddon stayed and played table tennis until 10pm. Then Ethel and I and Mr Davies talked and had supper and finally went to bed at 12.15. We (I mean Ethel and I) slept in Mr Sainsbury's room. It was lovely in there, so cosy with a fire and no chiming clock to annoy us. It is quite possible that I shall be fire watching with them in future, as Miss Zuigg may have to leave either this week or the week after.
You described your journey so beautifully, I mean your cycle in the rain. I would like to see that little village with all those miners' cottages.
This weekend we must talk about our wedding and our future,and really decide something. We shall have practically two whole days in which to discuss things. This is going to be a year which will live in our memory and one which we may long to live again (apart from the war of course).
I'm going to post this at lunchtime, so all the best for your exam.
All my love

No comments:

Post a Comment