Thursday 19 January 2012

Margaret Robinson to Tom Critchley 15.1.42

It was lovely to receive a letter from you just before lunch this morning, it added a nice flavour to the lunch. I brought my own dinner along to the office this morning and warmed it up. can you imagine me taking a basin of stew along? Well I did. By the way the other day when I received your letter in the afternoon here, I was so excited that I nearly lost my ring down the wash basin, only luckily it fell on its side. Oh dear! I had to sit down to recover.
Well, the snow came after all yesterday morning. I should imagine the ground was covered with about two and a half inches. The great North Road was as slippery as ever. There has been no more and what is left is gradually melting away.
Of course I will phone the record place when I have decided what records I want. I don't suppose I shall be able to order any more than two. What about needles, shall I order some more thorn?
I was working with Mr Graddon this morning and suddenly we started talking about gramophones. I don't know how it was but I think he wanted a rest from work. Well, he has a vast knowledge of gramophones and had a book on the subject on his desk. He says that most gramophones tend to give that wobbly sound toward the end of the record unless tightened up in some way. The thing that moves across the record should move in a straight line, but somehow it curves a little towards the end, hence the wobble. You must agree that the records usually finish up with that blurring sound (not always pronounced). Anyway Mr Graddon thinks this may be the explanation. Do you think so?
I had another present yesterday – a cheval set (mats for the dressing table). This from my auntie Ethel at Stokesby, Norfolk. This is the first cheval set I have. It's really lovely. I love having these things for our home, as I feel you have a share in them too. Although perhaps you won't appreciate them as much as I do.
Tuesday Evening
It is now 1.15 pm and I have not had a chance to finish this letter because Jonah arrived home about 6.45pm, and of course I had all my presents to show him and many things to talk about. He had 48 hrs leave and so goes back to-morrow afternoon. We had our game of bridge, it was very good but I'm afraid I don't enjoy it as I used to – I take it too seriously. We saw a picture of Jonah's girl, Eileen, she looks nice, but he says he is not taking it too seriously at present and doesn't expect to get married during the war. Anyway if you can spare time to write to Jonah he would love to hear from you, he sends you his love. His address is E M Jones 97000915 No 6 section, N2Coy NCC, 50 High Street, Edwinstowe, Notts. He is round about the Sherwood Forest – lovely country.
I have some work for you to do said she falling on her knees and imploring her loved one. Mrs Bullen has written to me asking for a report on the Tennis Club for 1941. I haven't any idea how to start – you see I can only produce the facts & figures & you always add the nice frilly bits, you know that, don't you? Said she trying to impress it on him. Will you? Oh please say yes. It has to be sent by the 24th.
I am enclosing the ministry of labour leaflets which were issued with the form. I should not be surprised if we have to go before this year is out but I'm sure the office will hang on to us to the very last. I had to put the usual details there is an item in which I have to state whether I would prefer women auxiliary service, civil defence or industry. I suppose nursing comes under C D, so I put that. And of course I have the choice of being a C O but at this state of the war I would rather go in for nursing.
Joyce is not much better yet and is still in bed. The doctor has now decided she has gastric flu. She will certainly be at home for another week. Poor Nancy is unhappy and feels like putting her head in a gas-oven, but for the fact it is an electric one. Poor girl she can't stick up for herslef very well with Mrs Dimes.
As regards our lovely week end, it would be lovely to come next weekend, but I was looking at my diary today and I find that the following weekend Saturday 31st, there will be a full moon on the Sunday. So what do you think? Will you see which is the best for the theatres or pictures and let me know when you would like me to come. You see I'm looking forward to this and I don't want it to be long before I see you again after that. Anyway you let me know.
Do you really think we shall look back on this as a lovely memory? I dare say we shall, but perhaps our even happier times will be when the war is over and we shall start life really together and share each other's joys and troubles.
You haven't asked me how Rene is? Well she is ill and has had to call the P O doctor in. I think she is run down, at least it started with a boil at the beginning of the week and that usually points to ill health.
Well darling. I do hope you will have full marks in that test, and that the second part was a hopeful as the first.
You ask me whether I have got my trousseau. Well I'm going to see the dressmaker on Monday an I will ask her advice. I shall have to work my coupons out. I can always wear my best ones for you and wear the old ones at home. Don't you think so?
I have not been able to find out about the marriage allowance, but I will let you know as soon as possible.
If you can possibly spare a minute for the tennis club, I shall be glad.
I must close now as I am very tired.

Good night my love,

Margaret

PS Nancy has some tobacco for Ron, so I don't know if she will send it or give it to me to send.

MCR

I was hoping to add a comment to this with a link to a post in "jboftunstall" about the Norfolk connection. I'll add it here instead:   https://jboftunstall.blogspot.com/2020/06/strong-family-ties-with-rural-norfolk.html

And here is a reference to auntie Ethel "The mystery of the Stokesby Connection" posting: "I have been trying to find out how Stokesby, a little village on the edge of the Norfolk Broads features in our family's history, when they all lived in Tunstall, just the other side of the River Bure.
    Initially, I know about it from my mother, aunts and their parents visits to Woodlands Farm, Stokesby. Talking to cousin Marian recently, she remembers staying at Woodlands Farm with her brother Peter and parents Alfred and Gwendoline. Whereas my mother remembered staying with Rebecca Fabb at Runham, where there was an outside toilet, (picture below of her there as a child) cousin Marian assured me there was an inside toilet at Woodlands Farm, Stokesby, and this is where she remembers staying with auntie Ethel (Fabb) when she was a child."

No comments:

Post a Comment