Thursday 14 June 2012

Margaret to Tom 14.5.42

The picture is Derwentwater rather than Wastwater as described in the letter.

Thursday Evening, 14th May 1942 
After the letter of yesterday, I think I have exhausted all powers of letter writing which is within me, so don't expect much from this letter will you, but nevertheless I shall do my best.
    Today it has been dull and bright alternatively as I expect it will clear up by Whitsun. I am secretly hoping that we shall get all the rain now, and that all July will be fine. I think we should have a very beautiful day for our wedding don't you? Mr Davies is hoping to obtain all the materials for a cinema show on our next fire watch. He is borrowing a projector from a lady whom I think really wants to sell it. he has a few films at home, including his wedding, and he said that one is really the most interesting to them, especially now they have been married for a few years. I have told you all this because, if it would be possible, it would be lovely to have a cinematograph film taken at our wedding, and I wondered whether your father would have any influence in the matter. I believe he did have some cine film of you and Ronald as children didn't he? So no doubt he knows all about these things. But I dare say these are difficult to get and quite expensive nowadays.
    Tonight I have been mending old clothes. It really is a job and will take me weeks to get them mended. I do wish I could throw them al away and get new ones, but I really must not grumble, at least I can say I have very few patched panties and if they are patched, it is probably not in the same place as yours. At long last I have finished reading Cranford, so you can read it when you are not too busy. It really is very interesting and I'm glad I bought it now. I may go up to town tomorrow after work to buy the handbag. Marjorie doubts whether I shall get a really decent one under £4 or £5. At any rate, if I do not buy one, I can get an idea of the bag I really want. I am writing this in bed. I feel very clean, having just had a bath.
   I just looked up and behold – Great Gable was staring me in the face. You know the picture so very well don't you? Every night when I gaze on this picture I always think of that lovely holiday we spent at Wastwater. Do you remember that evening when the bright blue sky mingled with the passing snow white clouds. The lake was so calm with little wavelets dashing against the stones. Oh Tom, as I write this, my heart is simply aching for us to return there. I believe that even as we were standing there by the lake, the German Bombers were on the their way to England to begin their brutal warfare on London. I am tempted to seek refuge in these hills, away from all the horrors of war. Why should we suffer because men can't govern a country without waging a war? But I shan't go on, I shall make your heart ache too for all those lovely surroundings. I feel that as we know those reasons so well, we can dwell there in spirit. If ever I am depressed, I think of the holidays we have spent there and as I am often depressed nowadays, those thoughts are forever creeping in. I must close now, as I am tired and will finish this tomorrow. All my love, Margaret

 Friday afternoon
Mother phoned me before lunch to say that we are to go over to Peter's 21st tomorrow. Peter came home yesterday on 9 days leave so he does not return until Sunday week. That length of time would be ideal for a honeymoon wouldn't it? In the first place we were to go to there Saturday week, but it is thought uncle might be in hospital by then, He is going in for treatment for his rheumatism. Marion sits for her exam on Wednesday I suppose its the first librarian's exam, that was another reason why the party was to be Saturday week.
   Reverting to films (the ones I was telling you about last night) I think it is highly improbably we could get one for the wedding. We shall have great difficulty in getting an ordinary one. Mr Davies was telling me this morning that the chemists in this area say that the quota of film they get nowadays is only £4 worth as opposed to £1,000 which is, of course, the reason why they are so scarce. The next quota arrives on June 1st, so if we are lucky, we may be able to get one on that day. (I don't suppose you believe the above figure, but anyway, that's what I was told). In the mean time, perhaps you will let me know the size you want and I will scout round. This morning I rose at the early hour of 7.15. I had asked Dad to wake me early , but why I wanted to be awakened early, I just could not remember, but anyway, I got up in case I should remember, but I didn't. I played with Shandy and I'm sure I did not want to get up just for that. Anyway, I was rewarded by hearing Leslie Weatherhead at 7.55. he has been on all this week and I have, as a rule, only heard spurts of his 5 minute sermon. He was exceedingly good and gives you something new to think about every time. The publican and the sinner was his theme.
    I have not played tennis at al this week apart from the fact I had decided not to play the ground is not really fit. I went down on Tuesday evening and of your Mrs Eddowes was there playing with Mrs Norris who has joined us this year. I rolled the whole of the damp shady court and was told it looked better for it, so i have done my good turn for this week. We now have a definite gardener, so no more hard work for us. He is in the fire service and is a large brawny chap, so we should be alright, don't you think so? The shortage of tennis balls is very acute and I'm afraid tennis will depart with the shortage, unless something is done there will be no tennis clubs next year. If you are in Cheltenham at all on Saturday perhaps you will inquire for tennis balls. We should be grateful if you could. Mrs Eddowes should never have sold those balls last year, but she wouldn't take any notice of us would she?
    All my love, Margaret

1 comment:

  1. Anyone here interested in Wavelets?

    Please, check out my Master dissertation about PCBs inspection using Fast Wavelet Transform:

    http://repositorio.unicamp.br/jspui/bitstream/REPOSIP/338849/1/Bonello_DanielKatz_M.pdf

    Thank you ;)

    ReplyDelete