Thursday 31 May 2012

Margaret to Tom 13.5.1942

Thank you for the very welcome phone call. It was lucky I was in because the prospects of a walk with Shandy was hovering around at that time and was only posponed on account of havinga lovely game of ball and hide'n'seek in the house. Shandy is likea child and revels in hide-'n-seek, but he's very good at it now and usually finds me first go. It was lovely to hear you again, but with the limit of 3 minutes its hard to know what to say, at least which is the most important to say. I would have thought too, that 1/2d was enough. It was 1/4d from Swansea. Yes, I heard your little chat with the operator. He kept telling me to hold on. As if I wouldn't! Well as I told you over the phone, I was very disappointed yesterday because all the seats on the coaches were booked. I went along to Finchley and he told me the coaches running on Sunday 24th are quite numerous. One at 8.50, 8.55, 10 and 10.30 and others, and they were all booked. So Dad rang up the Victoria coaching station and they had two seats on the 2.00pm which does not arrive until 6.46, which I think would be rather late wouldn't it? So if we come and I sincerely hope we do, it will be the train and possibly a very full one at that. If we could have booked on the coach, I feel our passage would have been secure, both for arriving and departing. I suppose we could not take singles on the train and return by coach, if that would not cost too much & the coaches for return are not booked up, perhaps we could do that. I expect there will be several coming back on the Monday &, if, by chance you go into Cheltenham during the next few days, perhaps you will enquire. To return to the ground again, I must say that our Mr Davies is an extremely wicked Staff Officer. He now brings in a pint of mill, and I now have to make coffee for the three of us in the morning. Needless to say, I suggested it in the first place, but only because we have some milk over from fire watching the other day. He even comes in the kitchen to drink it. He just does what he likes now, and spends most of his time thinking about that pick up for the wireless and generally messing around with it. Of course he works occasionally. The other day (Monday, the day we were firewatching) it was really funny. He insisted on coming to lunch with Ethel and me – well we had to buy some things for the evening, including a very long loaf which determined to stick its head out of my music case (which is always my shopping basket) Mr D insisted on carrying my shopping basket. On the way back to the Grange, we met all the people imaginable and the very last straw was Mr Grant our Regional Director who had to go to lunch just as we were going in. It was very unfortunate but of course nothing was said, its hardly becoming for a staff officer to walk about with bread and Clerical officers during lunch is it? I don't see why not, but I know many old hags would not approve. Mr D is going to commence traveling in three weeks time so we will be able to have another fire watch with him before he goes. He is so enthusiastic about fire watching that he hopes to fit it in during his travels. You won't be surprised when I tell you that Ethel is getting really too friendly with him , at least that is what I think, not that it matters in the least, but office people are apt to enlarge on such friendships and talk and it lowers the rank of an S O considerably if you understand me. Of course, Ethel is sensible. She went over to Mr D's place on Sunday last and went absolutely mad over his kiddies, especially the little one, who is apparently bubbling over with health which is very good considering the war rime food etc. The children are certainly looked after in this war for food.Orange juice can be obtained through clinics and lots of other good stuff necessary for youngsters. But no doubt you will not be interested in all this, and I must change the subject. I see already that I have expanded on my usual size of letter, but this brain-burst is entirely due to the fact that (1) the phone call has put new life into me. (2) I am feeling much better (3) Bottle of Virol obtained yesterday price 3/9d (this is a vitamin supplement or tonic (4) prospects of seeing you soon (5) my love for you The only things that breaks my heart is the distance between us. Winnie may beat me to the altar even yet, because she has definitely consented to marry Barry on his next leave, which may be anything from a fortnight to 6 months. I said there's a chance for me to be a bridesmaid yet. I phoned your mother up this evening & forgot to send your love, anyway you will probably give that in your next letter and besides, I know that after my visit to Swansea, when your Ma and Pa came along on the evening of my return, I told them that you sent your love, which I made up as I don't believe you gave me any message for them. Anyway, I know your mother was very pleased and I was feeling a bit of a fool, but I know you really meant me to say it. Well I must close this epistle now. By the way I understand the the airgraph service is starting shortly so its just as well you posted the letter to Ronald. Thanks for obtaining the accommodation & also for the phone call, All my love, Margaret PS I asked your mother to send your vests & pants along. I understood you to say long pants, but she says (& I don't think) you have ever had any.

No comments:

Post a Comment